11.16.2010

sports.

Growing up, I was never a big fan of any sports team, because I just didn't understand it. My brother was the one that had his favorite teams that he rooted for. He's a huge Washington Wizards fan, seriously, he's like the number one fan. I remember sitting down and watching the games with him because basketball was easier to understand. A few years ago, I finally sat down and watched a football game with him. Football was too confusing for me with all the rules that they have. He was patient enough to answer my questions to help me understand that game. "1st & ten...what's that mean?" I knew nothing about it. Once I figured out how the game went, I was hooked. He always cheered for the Ravens & Redskins---we live in  Maryland. Naturally, I fell in love with the Burgundy & Gold. Sundays, Mondays & Thursdays had a new meaning. It meant football. When hockey season would come along, I found him watching the Capitals and soon enough, I was there watching the games with him. All the while cheering for Ovechkin (who I decided to call "Ovenchicken"). I have to admit that half the time, I don't know where the puck is...haha. To add on to my journey to becoming a sports fan, a man rose to the top. & just like before, I had to watch. I'm talking about none other than Mr. Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao. Yes. Who knew that I would be cheering for a sport when they beat the crap out of each other. When Pacman turns his opponents' face to 'hamburger.' My co worker was so surprised to find out that I was planning on watching his most recent fight. That I, Frances, was into that. Manny's a good man and a good fighter. 'Nuff said.

So, this brings me to the whole reason I started this post. November 15 Monday Night Football. Once again Burgundy & Gold was playing against their NFC rivals, Philadelphia (I almost typed Philippines lol) Eagles. We were also coming off a bye week and in the last game, we lost to the Lions when McNabb was benched with two minutes left. It was a big deal. Now, I could care less that they were rivals. We beat them in their home turf when Vick got injured at the beginning of the game. Whatever. Any team we play, is a team I don't like for those few hours. BUT. The Eagles have Michael Vick. Yuck. We played terrible. We didn't even show up to play. We dropped passes, offense got nowhere & our defense just let them run by. Tough....but aside from how they were playing, the commentators were annoying the crap out of me. Left & right they were praising Vick. Yuck. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND how people can get behind that player after what he admitted to doing. It makes me sick. I admit that he's a good player, last night showed that, but I have zero respect for him. It sickens me that he's paid millions upon millions. Animal abuse is not okay. He did his time, but I can't wrap my mind around how someone could support someone who has done such a thing. I don't know...I feel like I'm the only one that feels like this. & it's sick.

My Redskins didn't play well, but it's okay. I still believe in them. 

No comments: