11.18.2010

Night wakings.

Last night was terrible! Matti woke up at 1:30 in the morning, and I walked him back to his room like normal. I ended up falling asleep on the floor & I went back to bed. It had been thirty minutes since he woke up. Something in the kitchen made a noise as I was getting in bed & as my head hit the pillow, he started crying. I waited to see if he would soothe himself back to sleep, and of course, he didn't. He walked into our room, crying while carrying a book with him (which I didn't know). Jason got up and walked him back and at this point, he is crying louder and just plain upset. Jason is usually a lot better with putting him to sleep in the middle of the night, so I stayed in bed. After a few minutes, I rolled over and found a book underneath me. Yes, the poor boy wanted me to read him a book. So, I walked to his room and he keeps asking to read a book. I went to him & told him to calm down. I wiped his face and you could tell he was tired. I told him I'd read ONE book as long as he stopped crying. I sat on the floor and started reading to him. When I finished, he was laying down, but still awake. Jason was on the floor and I laid down next to him. He waited about ten seconds until he started crying again. At this point he was just making things up so that he would get his way. We stood our ground and stayed on the floor. After about ten minutes, he was still whining and we were exhausted. Jason got up to change his diaper to get him comfortable and I got up to get his milk. I figured his mouth was dry from all his screaming. He took a tiny sip and said, "All done." So I put the milk back and said good night to him. As I was getting on the floor, he starts whining for his milk. "Milk, milk, milk, milk, milk." I knew it was either a distraction or he really was thirsty. So I got up asked him if he really wanted his milk & so I went to get his cup. He drank a little more and laid down with his cup. I usually do not agree with this, but I was tired. Bad, I know. He said, "All done milk" and I asked him if he was sure. I said good night again and laid on the floor. After a few minutes, he fell asleep. We waited a little bit until we got up and went to bed. Time check? 2:45. After we said good night to each other, I told Jason, this isn't working, I'm ready to move his mattress on the floor next to our bed. I did some research on how to help Matti adjust. This was one way and it worked for a week or two, but I'm not so sure anymore. Jason wants to keep trying this way so we will see.

My back aches, my neck aches, and I'm tired. If I'm feeling like this, I know Jason is feeling it twice as much. We gotta figure something out before we start walking around looking like zombies. haha.

But I do have some fun news. I told Matti I wanted to do his ABCs with him and he fought me for a while. He is at that point where it's his way or the highway. He will ignore your requests because he is able to, but we aren't putting our guard down. Finally, he was interested in doing his alphabet. He used his finger and pointed to each letter and knew all of them. With the exception of: G, N (I think "em" & "en" after each other confuses him), V, W. The last two he knows but I think the way they look confuses him sometimes. Also, he will call Hs "hippopotamus" and Ms "monkey" but he knows the actual letter name. Sometimes Zs are "zebras" and the letter O is a "zero." I think it's cute, haha. Then, we moved to his numbers and he knew 1-10. I need to get a shapes chart and the 11-20 numbers up. Also, colors. I know at daycare he does well with all of these because the boys all like to compete and be the first one to get the right answer. They are sooo boys!

We spent last night with good friends who are expecting their first child very soon. It's exciting because they have left the sex of the baby as a surprise. I know they are excited and anxious as is everyone that knows them. Best of luck to the soon-to-be new parents! You guys will be fantastic!

No comments: