3.08.2010

What a weekend.

This weekend was an emotional roller coaster. Saturday, we found out that a family friend might have leukemia and was being sent to a hospital in Washington D.C. We were going to head up there, but Auntie told us to stay home & to come on Sunday. We went to our household & we discussed the Prodigal Son. I really need to brush up on the readings. I still get nervous when speaking out so I didn't have much to add. =/ Overall, the discussion went well. It was hard to focus because all I thought about was Uncle & his family. Is this really happening? The next day, we waited for my parents to get out of mass to finally head up the road. We didn't get there until close to 3pm & spent the rest of the day there. He has leukemia. To be honest, I had to look it up because I wasn't totally sure what it was. I knew it had to do something with blood. Earlier that day, another family friend drove up with his wife & kids so they were there when we arrived. We went to mass & it was one of the most moving masses I've been to. Maybe it was due to the recent news & seeing so many people there praying for their family members. I almost cried a couple of times. After mass, we went back to his room & we just hung out there until the drugs kicked in & made him sleepy. We hung out in the lobby for the longest time before we all finally left. The people in the car with us went to dinner with Kennelle in Georgetown & we eventually made it home a little after midnight. I still need to thank my parents for watching Matti for us.

Now, Jason is at work & Matti is taking a nap so I have time to myself & all my thoughts go to this family. I met them through church & through Jason's family. The parents hang out & it used to be every Sunday after church, we'd go to lunch or someone's house. & stay there all day. Also, there were yearly family trips with these families. Last summer, we went to Tennessee! Of course, things happen & it's not as consistent, but when we do get together with everyone, it's still the same. Just a good time--we play a lot of Hand & Foot & end the night really late. I consider these families my second families. We're not really really close, but they hold a place in my heart. & this (Uncle having leukemia) is a shock to everyone. Like, really? My first thought was his family. & me & Jake wanted to go up Saturday night when we first found out. We wanted to be there for him & for his family. I've always seen them very close as a family & in each one of their individual relationships. To me & Jake, praying & being there for them was a priority. At the hospital they kept saying "thank you" for coming, for the support, for being there, etc. I/we didn't see where else we would be. Stay stRONg.

1 comment:

christa said...

I don't know who this is, but I'll say a prayer or two for him and his family <3