10.09.2012

Wear your babies!


Baby wearing


I've always heard that every baby is different. My 2 boys are just that. 

MJ was a very independent (and still is) baby. He could entertain himself, he was fine in a swing, bouncer, crib, etc. He was an easy baby. He ate, played, and slept. Throw in diaper changes and baths and you're good! He set his routine early on and I was thankful. Let me just say, I didn't just leave him alone all the time. Not at all! I just found it very easy to do things around the house and even make 3.5 hour trips alone! (that's impossible with bbJ lol) There really wasn't a need for me to wear him. I had a Snugli (yea, I know...I'm embarrassed for myself) but I didnt know better. I tried with MJ and it wasn't 'right' for us. A big chunk of it was probably because that thing was so uncomfortable! For me and definitely for him! (those type of carriers are terrible for babies!) This time around, I've fallen in love with baby wearing. I love the fact that I can be there for my baby when he longs for touch and be able to do things like a normal person.

So, once bbJ arrived, I did what came naturally to care for him. Very early on, I knew he was a different baby 'compared' to his brother. ( I try not to compare them, but I just want the differences emphasized. ) this was all new to me. My baby needed to nurse, be held, be touched, be entertained,  be around people...constantly. On a rare occasion he would tolerate bouncers or the swing, but only for 5-10 mins. Which is nothing when you have a 3 year old to tend to. My husband would take him when he could but soon after, bbJ would need to eat. It's amazing how much he knew it was me. Or if I had walked into a room, he would know! Routines have never worked with him. What worked one day or even earlier in the day, never worked the next or hours later. I learned quick that there is nothing known with bbJ except that he needed to be touched. A month into this world, we bought a Moby wrap. I wanted one with MJ but I never really needed it. With bbJ, I needed it bad! The first time we used it, I felt so free! How good it felt to stretch my arms out! To sit down and have a meal using both hands! I was in love with it and so was bbJ. He loved being snuggled up to mommy all warm and taking in mommy's smell. I fell in love with baby wearing. I loved that he was finally content but most of all, that he was so close to me all the time. The smell of babies, staring at his sweet face while he slept, that first smile when he woke up...priceless. These moments are forever etched in my mind. Those times with him being so little were short lived. Babies are babies for such a short time so I was cherishing every moment of it. I was able to while taking care of my 3 year old. Very slowly, life was becoming more normal. 

Now, he's a walking, babbling, and non stop one year old. He still longs for touch but not to the extent of his baby days. He's a very happy baby and we still love baby wearing. I know it will help calm him down. I know if I need to do something, he's going for a ride. Usually, he falls asleep. I can't see myself not baby wearing any future babies. We now have a soft structured carrier and I carry him on my back. Hubby does too but it's a daily thing for bbJ and me :) you can often find us literally hanging out while dancing around the house cleaning! our carrier can also carry our 4 year old and we've tested it and it works just as good. Pain free ha ha. 

With bbJ being one and walking, it seems a lot of people feel that baby wearing isn't necessary. I've heard a few "put that baby down" but I know what he needs or wants. He gets plenty of 'down' time but he loves nothing more than going for a piggy back ride. I can't complain because I love our carrier, ha ha. We rarely use a stroller now too. So we will see how our baby wearing continues. We are completely in love! 

If you have a very touchy/feely baby, I highly recommend investing in a good carrier! I recommend Moby or similar wraps during the first year and soft structured carriers (SSC), like Boba or Ergo, once they grow out of the wraps. Carriers are definitely an investment! I absolutely do not recommend 'crotch dangler' carriers like the Snugli & Bjorn. They are the worst for your babies! 

No comments: